Saturday, June 20, 2009

CawCawphony

My neighbor has a large stand of West Coast Maples and Cottonwoods between our properties.In addition I have Holly and Hawthorns on the property line, as he has. These trees are a safe repository for nesting crows, particularly the thorn bearing trees where the nests are well hidden from marauders. I have an orchard with cherries and small fruits, amongst others. The crow's bedrooms, nursery, and living room appears to be largely the inter property area and my neighbor's property. The kitchen, dining room and toilet is the pianist's and my property. This seems to be fledgling time and the constant cacophony is frightful. There seems to be a crisis of ownership between the humans and the crows. The kitchen also doubles as the toilet. When eating a cherry, or a small red plum, the crow , after picking a juicy one in the garden, brings the cherry to the kitchen. The kitchen is a branch near us where some food preparation goes on. Positioning the cherry or the plum between the toes, on the branch,tenderizing the skin, pitting, and finally swallowing following stone removal. The crow's gastrocolic reflex is triggered by the meal . They appear to have a repeatedly sensitive trigger prompting the gastrocolic event. Possibly the shorter distance from the stomach to the rectum than yours or mine. Since the favorite place to eat is perching on a branch of a Western Red Cedar overlooking our painted deck, we are greeted with abundant guano that seems to have remarkable adherent properties. This gastrocolic event is accompanied, dare I say, by enthusiastic crowing. Maybe even derisive! Each time I leave the house to toil in the soil the watchbird announces my progress. If I bring my pressure washer to remove hardened and adherent guano, I am greeted with a chorus of insults. They don't seem to care! The variety of vocalizations they have is remarkable. It's just they are so darned intrusive, or maybe it's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment